Tenganan Village is one of the oldest Balinese Traditional Village that located in Karangasem Regency, east part of Bali. This village is much referred by cultural literature science of Tenganan Pegringsingan, which is very famous in the island.
Bali Aga – The Oldest Balinese Traditional Village
It own very unique local community life pattern which is one example of Bali Aga Village cultures (Hindu Prehistoric) and different with other countryside in plain of Bali. Nowadays, this village has been appointed as a place for tourist destination which can present the attractive and unique matters which able to add the variation of object and fascination for tourist to come.
The specification of tourism object at Tenganan Village is consisted of:
- Countrified pattern of rural having the character of Linear
- The structure of bilateral society orientation at seniority collective
- Special Ritual System in high frequency by serving the religion solidarity, artistically and social mechanical solidarity
- The tradition of Mekare-Kare on every June is a faith tradition as the screw pine in ritual context, religion value, spirit of struggle and test of physical delaying accompanied by traditional gamelan of Selonding
- The Art Crafting Weave of cloth fastens which is famous called by Ikat Pangringsingan that is designed and arranged by the typical color.
History of Tenganan Village :
The history of Tenganan village is expressed in a few versions.
- The first version is mentioned that the resident of Tenganan village are come from Paneges Village, a village is located near with Bedahulu Village that is located Gianyar Regency.
- The second version is expressed that word of Tenganan recognized in one of Bali inscription that was written by the word of Tranganan.
- The third version is expressed that the Tenganan Village Resident prays to the Bukit Lempuyang Temple. The word of Tenganan is ascribed by a Tengah root word which can mean to aim to middle of Pegringsingan, the fasten cloth type weave that is typically produce by Tenganan village resident.
- The fourth version, is expressed that the word Tenganan was derived from the word “tengah” or “ngatengahang” which means, “move to the inner area”. This derivation of word was having a relation with the movement of the villagers from the seaside to a rural area, in which the position of Tenganan Village is in the middle of hills, which are western hill (Kauh Hill) and eastern hill (Kangin Hill). Another version reveals that the people of Tenganan came from Peneges village, located in Gianyar, precisely near Bedahulu. Based on the folklore, once upon a time Bedahulu King lost one of his horses. The people looked for it to the east and the horse was finally found dead by Ki Patih Tunjung Biru, the King’s right hand. For his loyalty, the King finally gave Ki Patih Tunjung Biru an authority to govern the land as far as the aroma of the carrion of the horse can be smelled. Ki Patih was an intelligent person, so he cut the carrion into pieces and spread it as far as he could. Thus he received a quite large area.
Tenganan Village Bali Aga Location
Tenganan village is geographically situated among the hill in west and east part of this village. This village is located in Manggis sub district and Karangasem Regency or about 1 hour drive from Denpasar Town. It is a small village consisted of three Banjars (group of local community) those are Banjar Kauh, Banjar Tengah and Banjar Pande.
Tenganan Village Bali Aga Map
It is a very famous village throughout Bali where most of the local people knows where it is located. It is located in Karangasem Regency and close to Candidasa. You can find many travel agencies serve the tour to visit this village and you may join Karangasem Tour which you will discover places of interest in east part of Bali including this village.
Tenganan Village Hotel Nearby
Candidasa is a beautiful place featured by the stunning view of Indian Ocean and peaceful atmosphere. There are a lot of hotels available in this area and most of them close to Tenganan Village like Puri Bagus Candidasa, Candi Beach Cottage, Alila Manggis, Rama Candidasa and Lotus Bungalow .
If you want visit this village, you can contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on +6281805683342 to get quick confirmation.